ABOUT THIS BLOG

Zemira Palmer is my third-great grandfather. In 2010 I was given tons of information about him by two angel cousins. With their permission I share it all!! - Deniane Kartchner

Contact: denianek@gmail.com

Sally Knight Palmer

Sally Knight Palmer

Zemira's Wives

The photos of Zemira's two wives were contributed by Lucile Brubaker

and her mother, Lenna Cox Wilcock. Thanks!

Caroline Jacques Palmer

Caroline Jacques Palmer

BLOG SOURCES


Unless otherwise noted, the main source for this blog (including the introduction) is a history titled “ZEMIRA PALMER, 1831 – 1880, His Life and Family in Early L.D.S. Church History.” This history was prepared by Lenna Cox Wilcock and sent to Deniane Kartchner via email by Lenna's daughter, Lucile Brubaker, with Lenna and Lucile's permission to post on this blog with the stipulation it be used for family history purposes only and not for financial gain. Lenna and Lucile are descendants of Zemira Palmer through his wife Caroline Jacques.


I have posted the history in segments exactly as Lenna wrote them (with the exception of adding details needed to help the sections stand alone).


Introduction

Zemira Palmer was born the year after The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day-Saints was organized in Fayette, New York. Living amongst the earliest “Mormon” converts, his entire life and that of his family was inextricably inter-woven with that of the early Saints.


The faith of the Palmer and Draper families, as with all the Saints, was severely tried and tested as they were swept along in the turbulent stream of Mormonism in its desperate struggle for survival while defending their freedom to worship their God as they chose. As Utah Pioneers they contributed greatly in making the desert blossom as a rose in the rugged western American frontier.


One month before his death, in a letter to his sister Zemira made the following statement, and by living according to what it expresses, he was worthy to gain the great reward of which it speaks:


“. . . There is one thing which seems to be true, the Lord is fulfilling His promises. He has said by the mouths of His prophets that He would send judgments on the wicked & trials on the faithful, so that everyone that can be shaken, will be, and those who cannot be shaken, shall gain the great reward of eternal life & supreme happiness.”1


1- Excerpt from letter written by Zemira Palmer to his sister Lovina Palmer Munroe Sept. 18, 1880.


* * * * *

Zemira Palmer History on this blog

2.04.2010

(80) Letters from Zemira to his mother Phebe

A few letters have been made available for this printing, which are priceless, such as the one following.  Some are inserted into the text of this writing because of their value. These are type-written copies of the original hand-written letters which are in possession of relatives.

December 15, Zemira wrote:  “heard today that my Mother is very sick.”  He then wrote the following letter: (His mother lived at Draper, Salt Lake County)   

Orderville Cotton Farm Dec. 18, 1878

Dear Mother,
Ben Pendleton informs me that you was verry sick when he passed there.  I was sorry to hear it. He said you did not know where I was at present.  I am ashamed to think I have not written to you oftener, but I am a poor hand to write only when I have business to attend to, then I write because I am obliged to.  I belong to the Orderville, U. O. & am living on the Virgin River a little above Washington City, Wash. County.  Our Order has a farm here for the purpose of raising cotton & fruit.  I have been here about 13 months & have charge of the farm.
I have been working in the Order four years & am well satisfied not but there is things which I think can be bettered, but I did not look for perfection at first.  I do not know of course how long I may stand it, but I have started in for a “through trip” & hope I will not falter or turn aside.  I can say that I am weaned from my property comparatively speaking & feel reconciled to work for the good of all, at least for all who are willing to do the same.  I cannot satisfy my feelings in one letter in regard to the principals of the Order so I will drop that subject & write about something else.
Suppose you have heard that Caroline is dead, she died one year ago day before yesterday at Orderville.  She gave birth to a little girl 3 days before & it died the same day it was born, a Telegram was sent to me but I did not get there in time to see her alive, the baby which had been buried was taken up & put in the grave with it’s mother.  Caroline’s oldest daughter is Arletta, is living at Orderville also Susan the next oldest, & the little girl next to the one that died I have given to a sister Peterson to raise, two boys & one girl are with me.
Sally has her twelfth child a little girl 10 months old, her three oldest children one son & 2 daughters are living in Arizona.  Alma has two children, Lydia two & Phebe one.  We have just heard from them & they are all well.  I would like to come & see you very much, but do not see how that I can at Present.
I have been verry sick & have not yet fully recovered & would not be able to ride so far on horseback this cold weather, but I hope this may find you alive & much better & if so please get some one to write for you & let me know how you are.
I saw in the Deseret News the death of Bro. Brown but I have never heard what shape things were in since he died whether you lived alone or with the children.  My address is, Orderville Cotton Farm, via Washington City, Washington Co.
Ever praying for your welfare.   I remain your Son Z. Palmer

No comments:

Contributors


Lucile Brubaker (and her mother Lenna Cox Wilcock) are also contributing to this blog.

Followers