Zemira Palmer is my third-great grandfather. In 2010 I was given tons of information about him by two angel cousins. With their permission I share it all!! - Deniane Kartchner

Contact: denianek@gmail.com

Sally Knight Palmer

Sally Knight Palmer

Zemira's Wives

The photos of Zemira's two wives were contributed by Lucile Brubaker

and her mother, Lenna Cox Wilcock. Thanks!

Caroline Jacques Palmer

Caroline Jacques Palmer


Unless otherwise noted, the main source for this blog (including the introduction) is a history titled “ZEMIRA PALMER, 1831 – 1880, His Life and Family in Early L.D.S. Church History.” This history was prepared by Lenna Cox Wilcock and sent to Deniane Kartchner via email by Lenna's daughter, Lucile Brubaker, with Lenna and Lucile's permission to post on this blog with the stipulation it be used for family history purposes only and not for financial gain. Lenna and Lucile are descendants of Zemira Palmer through his wife Caroline Jacques.

I have posted the history in segments exactly as Lenna wrote them (with the exception of adding details needed to help the sections stand alone).


Zemira Palmer was born the year after The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day-Saints was organized in Fayette, New York. Living amongst the earliest “Mormon” converts, his entire life and that of his family was inextricably inter-woven with that of the early Saints.

The faith of the Palmer and Draper families, as with all the Saints, was severely tried and tested as they were swept along in the turbulent stream of Mormonism in its desperate struggle for survival while defending their freedom to worship their God as they chose. As Utah Pioneers they contributed greatly in making the desert blossom as a rose in the rugged western American frontier.

One month before his death, in a letter to his sister Zemira made the following statement, and by living according to what it expresses, he was worthy to gain the great reward of which it speaks:

“. . . There is one thing which seems to be true, the Lord is fulfilling His promises. He has said by the mouths of His prophets that He would send judgments on the wicked & trials on the faithful, so that everyone that can be shaken, will be, and those who cannot be shaken, shall gain the great reward of eternal life & supreme happiness.”1

1- Excerpt from letter written by Zemira Palmer to his sister Lovina Palmer Munroe Sept. 18, 1880.

* * * * *

Zemira Palmer History on this blog


(56) Life in Panguitch

In Panguitch, as elsewhere he had lived, he seemed to keep on the go.  Right away he helped his son, Alma, who had land in Panguitch, to thresh his wheat, but the machine broke and the weather turned stormy and cold. 

He was asked to be a Sunday School assistant teacher.  Also on December 29, 1873, he began teaching a private school, which consisted of his own children and those of William D. Kartchner.  This school was held in the Kartchner’s kitchen.  Three of his children eventually married Kartchner children. 

He attended dances, which was something he greatly enjoyed.  He made a sleigh, and since Panguitch is a cold place, usually receiving much snow, his family undoubtedly made much good use of that sleigh.  Both old and young could enjoy the winter sports of sleigh riding, skiing, hockey, ice-skating, or just playing in the snow making snowmen and having snowball fights. Typically of Panguitch, on March 1, 1874, Zemira recorded:  “The past winter has been the hardest for 8 years.”

The next day, he received a letter from the Bishop in Panaca regarding some money, which the Bishop owed him.  So he decided to go back and settle up all of his business there and collect the money owed to him. It was a difficult trip, for he encountered deep snow. 

At Pioche he settled up all of his business there and collected $772 (no source given) then went to Panaca and paid his tithing to Bishop Jones, “and got a receipt in full, having paid in the last 8 years $708.90.”  Typically, he went to church the next day, (15) it being Sunday, then on Monday started for “Home” (Panguitch).  He encountered a fierce snowstorm, and it took a week to get home, a total of 18 days since he left.

No comments:


Lucile Brubaker (and her mother Lenna Cox Wilcock) are also contributing to this blog.